Saturday, July 19, 2008

Conservative Talk Radio - Worried We're Not Buying It Anymore?

A friend recently asked me why I like to "torture myself" by listening to conservative talk shows on the radio. I sincerely told her I do this because this is how I stay informed and well-rounded on all sides of every political debate, for what purpose is served by choirs simply preaching to other choirs?

I respect anyone for having an opinion. Even if I don't agree with someone, just have an opinion. Apathy is what destroys relationships, marriages, families, nations, worlds. I love to hear someone speak passionately about what they believe in, especially when they can back up their fire about something with solid facts. Knowledge is power, and I believe everyone should pursue more knowledge about anything they can, whether it be about politics, parenting or pruning plants. I also don't mind when people change their minds on a topic, especially if it's because they got more facts about something and looked at it from a new perspective. This is not flip-flopping. This is using the old noodle and not being too proud to at least entertain another's viewpoint.

I have been listening to conservative talk show radio for decades now. I've come to know these radio personalities pretty well, and there are some who I genuinely like and deeply respect, despite our differences in opinion. Lately, however, there seems to be a distinct shift in their tone when they are talking about Barack Obama. I hear fear in their voices. This is odd to me because I don't understand why these educated people who are more than capable of defending themselves would sound this way.

The fear in their voices sounds like when entertainers are losing a crowd and frantically start pulling every trick from their hat to keep them from leaving the building. It's as if they are worried they are running out of things to say. I visualize a kitchen with dozens of cooks frantically running around trying to concoct a Thanksgiving dinner out of a jar of mustard, three pickles, two olives, and some stale bread. It just can't be done, but by God, they're gonna try.

Even their ace in the hole, John McCain, can't save them, for he's only got more stale bread to bring to the table.

Conservative talk radio sounds more and more like a group of people telling me all the reasons we shouldn't want to make turkey, mashed potatoes and stuffing for Thanksgiving this year, and why we should rather be happy with mustard, pickle and olive sandwiches. No matter how they sell it, spin it, present it, or package it, we just don't want it. What we do want is to keep what is right with our country, and add some key ingredients that are only going to make it better.

I think I can sum up this whole situation with a quote from Hamlet: "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Methinks I didn't know conservative talk radio was a she.

No comments: